Saturday, June 30, 2012

Talismans, Lucky Signs and the...... Forbidden name


 I am modern, scientific ,and maintain realistic expectations about cause and effect, but what handler does not believe in some very silly ritual to bring success on the trial field.
Lucky socks.
 Lucky underwear.
A lucky crook.
We wish one another "luck".

I've got a whistle lanyard dripping with beads and charms , each having a  meaning to me, and serving to remind me of some particular value or virtue to pull out of my small bag of skills when I stand at the  handler's post.
I have a crook that was a gift from someone I loved.  That is lucky.
I ran a phenomenally great dog, A once in a lifetime dog ,  who did not belong to me.
Very lucky. I walked in God's grace. Grace from God bestowed by my Mentor, who's dog I , through his grace,  had the undeserved pleasure of partnering with.

You may get confidence wearing your lucky underpants as you walk to the post, But Theres NOTHING like the "Luck" of knowing you are running the best dang dog at the trial, at any trial, anywhere.

I came across 2 mementos this morning:
A pressed four-leaf clover  that I found last year at the set out at Lacamas SheepDog Trial.
I picked it observing that I was one lucky gal. It bode good things, fulfillment in my sheepdog journey, a balanced life. I carried it in my wallet, to remind me of my blessings, and for luck.

The other memento was an annotated score sheet from a trial I ran in one week after I picked the lucky clover. I did not know at the time , It was to be my last  run with a dog that was my heart.
 I welcome trials as a chance to show me what I need to work on with my dog. I am thankful that even a poor run can be a point from which to make specific improvements. And even a less than stellar run will have instances of great beauty.
I had written notes on the score sheet based on conversation with  Jack Knox, the judge of that trial . Jack was generous in sharing suggestions for exercises  to sharpen up my shed.
I remember looking forward to practicing, with utmost confidence that dog and I would soon have complete mastery of the shed. I was ready. Great stuff was going to happen to my trialling. I was poised on the brink of exactly where I wanted to be.

My luck changed soon after.
Looking back,I should have seen it coming.
Earlier my crook broke. I had left it leaning on a wall at a trial, and it had fallen , breaking the horn handle in two. Once harmonious and united, now separated.   The magic leaked out.  A cold  foreboding.

I get that I am supposed to pretend none of this ever occurred, because the mention of it may be uncomfortable.  Everyone gets the luck they deserve. 
The forbidden name must not spring from my lips.

But why not,  My magic has already  leaked out. 
Its alright now to say the name.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon edit-
I will not say the forbidden name.
There are others whos magic may yet be intact.
Might as well keep it that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment