The USBCHA Finals has always been, for me, THE ultimate sheepdog trial of all time. The ONE!
It is the trail that matters most. The trial to work toward.....maybe not this year, maybe not the next, but the one after that....yeah maybe!!!!
I've been following avidly for 15 years.
It used to be my goal, my aim, my daydream, and last thoughts at night. When I was working my dogs, making my plans, the USBCHA finals was the thing that was in my mind. It has been like this since my first novice trials with my Rook, and my Kelly ( both gone now. They got old, and then they had to go, , but not without teaching me how to move on to the next step)....and I did move on to the next step. A pleasant easy going dog called Zeke (Greasy) and a real neat bitch named Taff showed me some moves. Both of these dogs were utterly lovely to work with, and i trusted both, but these lacked 100% of the natural talent it takes to be competitive. I was reaching. Still dreaming the dream. I discarded Zeekie and Taff. Both Zeke (Greasy) and Taff now live with people who love them a lot, and use them on stock, and don't dream of making a decent showing in any USBCHA finals, or any trials at all.
Then. I worked a real good dog. for a few years... .and I didnt merely dream about competing in the finals, I saw it happening. Each step within reach. Two and a half years I worked her and all of the work made sense. Each day of training took us palpably closer. I could see it unfolding. The thing was going to HAPPEN! No doubt in my mind. and back then I wasn't delusional. I knew myself. I knew my dog. I had confidence in her. She had confidence in me. We were exactly where I'd been aiming to be.
She was (is) the dog that would go there, and not merely qualify, but knock some socks off too.
It was going to happen.
One hears that "No dog is perfect" , and "every dog has a weakness" . It probably seems pompous, but it was only truthful for me to say that , " My dog is perfect. She has no weakness. None"
I stand by it, still, though she is not my dog any longer. She wasnt my dog then, though I didnt realize it, Her heart was mine. No doubt about that. My heart absolutely belonged to her.
The Finals. Here they come again.
It is a bitter anniversary. 2 years ago is the last time I spoke to and touched my dog.
I got a phone call from my mentor, and compliantly delivered the dog to him.
I wish I had'nt been so compliant.But I used to be so damn nice, so I put my hopes and dreams, and my only true love in the seat beside me, and took her to my mentor's house,
and I have never touched her again.
I did it because I trusted my mentor to make it right. I wish I would have fought a little. I wish I would have fought a lot. I wish I would not have made it easy, but I trusted that all would be made right. I really trusted that guy.
My dog is in the Nationals this year.
She might just win it. I dont know why not. She is perfect. She has no weakness. None.
Good handler too. Great handler!
Mentor? Well.
No comments:
Post a Comment